Visitors...

Dem Bones Dem Bones Dem Dry Bones

I walked into A&P lab this week to an array of black boxes. Not knowing what was in these boxes, I sat down like usual and began to chat with my lab partner about the exam we had last week. We started talking about all that we had to learn for the next exam when our professor walks in a asks for our attention. He said that it was of great importance that we pay close attention for handling instructions. Then he asks us to open the boxes.

Now, I must tell you that it is quite a bit of shock to open a box and see real human bones and a skull. I feel suddenly guilty because this used to be a person, or several people. And that's kinda creepy. Especially the black boxes. Come On People! Do you have to make it look like a coffin? Can't they make it look a little more scientific as opposed to grave digging? It's like a halloween gag gone terribly wrong.

So what we're supposed to be doing is exploring our boxes and studying each bone characteristics. However, for me, it's a lot easier for me to study if a get the bigger picture, so I start to assemble (well, just place in their respective positions) the skeleton with mismatched bones from different people. You see, the radius and ulna didn't fit together, and the fibula and tibia weren't the same length. The femur was way too big for the pelvis and knee joints. It was a dicombobulated mess to say the least. Plus I felt extremely morbid for even handling the bones. But this is my life these days. Handling and learning about the body and its functions. Sometimes I wonder how I got here, but it's all in the name of nursing, I suppose. I know I write a whole bunch about my medical life these days, but it engulfs every waking moment of my time. How can I not write about it? So interesting!!

2 comments:

WanderingLili said...

We had a bone box on our dining room table for an entire semester. Now that's WRONG on SOOOOO many levels.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you'll learn how your bones work and then like learn some new stretches and think of them in terms of your bones. Then you'll be faster and more flexible!

The Area I'm In...

The Area I'm In...
It's Picturesque!

The People Who Read My Rants...