Visitors...

Could You Make It If You Couldn't See??

Welcome to the St. Marks Trail!!


So sometimes you meet people that just absolutely floor you...People that make you think, "Man could I actually do that if I was in their situation?"




Since I moved down to Tallahassee, I have spent some time with the "blind" community here. But you wouldn't think that they couldn't see because of how much stuff they do. Pretty amazing. This past February, I went to Bend, Oregon to go skiing with blind people. An absolutely incredible trip. I'll write one day about that. But today is for the 22 mile tandem bike ride that I did with some blind people.


I was what you would call a captain, and my stoker was blind and was in the second spot on the tandem. It's pretty cool because you take for granted that you can ride a bike, and yet there are some people who never have. So this experience that you're helping them with is one that brings absolute joy to their faces.

We rode on the St. Marks trail in Wakulla County, FL, which has the essence of the Louisiana bayou, but the cleanliness of Florida. This type of atmosphere breathes and is full of life. It has a certain rhythm to it that gives you a crisp, fresh outlook. Taking in that salty air...there's nothing like. Plus, having the opportunity to explain the scenery to someone who can't see it, but with your words can visualize it, is an incredible experience.

This sign is for my sister and her hunt for crazy signs across the country!!




This lighthouse was our goal. It's at the very end of the first half of the trail. Once we reach there, we've reached the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, so we all stop to take pictures, admire the scenery, and check out the lighthouse.
After we get done with the ride, we had a big lunch of spaghetti, garlic bread, laughter and fun. So I go back to my original question: Could I actually do that if I were in their shoes? I still don't know, but I think it's pretty amazing!

Here's some more pictures from the area:








3 comments:

WanderingLili said...

I just don't know - I think I could, but I might be a pretty angry person! and I think I would talk even more than I do now!

WanderingLili said...

Oh I forgot to tell oyu I LOVE!!! the pier picture!!! would love it even moreif it were framed and hanging inmy house somewhere! Hehe!

Anonymous said...

Hehe, the sign is so funny. And the trip sounds pretty amazing.

The Area I'm In...

The Area I'm In...
It's Picturesque!

The People Who Read My Rants...